Saturday, April 26, 2014

cacti



I have a friend who often laments that she can't grow anything, bemoaning the fact that she can't decorate her house with any houseplants, especially disgruntled as now it seems to be making a comeback! I didn't think I'd see the day that my mum's macrame plant hangers would be on trend! 

So I crocheted some cacti for her using some hand spun wool that seemed to be a good "cacti" colour, a combination of merino, alpaca and silk. 


I "potted" up a couple of cacti for her and with a few cacti left over I potted up some for me too. They are now sitting on my work desk, a little bit of colour, with the added bonus that they don't need any watering! 


I didn't have a pattern, but I did google "crocheted cacti" for a bit of inspiration, there are some amazing examples. If crochet isn't your thing, have a look at these painted stones! I think the kids and I might have a go at those these holidays.

9 comments :

  1. they are so cool!!! I love the flowers on top.
    I made a few last year for birthday favours for my daughters Mexican party, but I think I need a few around home too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Seriously, this is so incredibly cool. The colours are great for cacti too aren't they. Who doesn't need an non watering houseplant .... I also really enjoying looking through your link to the painted stones, I did some when I was in my late teens and it was so much fun. Thanks for sharing. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful. What a great thing to do for a friend and also pretty hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely idea. They look great! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this - it is so way cool Louana! no doubt she loved it and your one must bring a smile everytime you see it! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are great. The wool is a perfect colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I bet they feel amazing - so much better than the real thing. And I get what you mean about the macrame. I just can't get my head around it being trendy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.